Welfare benefits are changing and many tenants are being moved on to a new kind of benefit – Universal Credit.
Universal Credit is a single monthly payment that replaces six benefits.
Anyone making a new benefit claim, or updating a current claim, will be moved on to Universal Credit.
There are important differences to Universal Credit you need to know about:
- it can take six weeks from when you first make a claim until you get your first payment
- payments will be made once a month, on the same date every month
- the money is paid directly to your bank account and will include your housing costs (rent)
- we won’t receive your rent payment directly so it’s up to you to pay your rent every month
- you will be asked to sign a claimant commitment. If you don’t follow this, you can be sanctioned and lose all of your benefits
- you will get an online journal which you will use to keep the DWP (Department of Work and Pensions) updated on your circumstances.
If you are a tenant with us then don't worry alone. We will help you. Click the button below and an appointment today:
Request an appointment